Friday, May 18, 2012

I'm The Guy who has to call a guy



As much as I hate to admit it, I can't fix a damn thing.
Years ago men were great at fixing cars, their washing machines or any other gadget around the house. Sadly,as much as I try, I am not that guy.
I've always been pretty accepting of the fact that I am not of that generation and don't have the know how to do anything manual.

Years ago when I was a teen living at home with my parents my father and I would tackle a problem on the 1960 FB Holden I owned and whilst I really didn't know what I was doing, I would actively participate and try to learn from my father who really knew what he was doing. In my youth he had pulled apart clutches and replaced steering columns and pretty much anything that needed attention.
It gave me a false confidence that I knew what I was doing. Years later I would be living by myself and really didn't have the confidence to tackle such jobs so
I just paid a guy to fix whatever needed repair.

In recent years as I have gotten older I have thought to myself that even though I can afford to have the guy come out and do repairs,that perhaps I should be manly and grab those tools that are sitting idle in the trunk of my car and attempt some basic repairs myself. Well, I was wrong. Everything I have attempted has failed miserably and cost me more time and money than if I had just gone with my basic instinct and just called a guy.

I guess it's just time to realise and accept that I can knock down a VoiceOver for a commercial in one take, I can produce an award winning weekly radio show, can write books, play the bongos and host marvellous parties but for the life of me I just can't get my hands dirty and fix something.

It's frustrating but sometimes you just have to accept your limitations....I am the guy who has to call a guy.